Wednesday, March 24, 2010

So Long


Well, for my last entry, I would like to talk about Texans and Californians and their mannerisms.
When I first came to Texas, I was worried that I would really offend someone. In California, it is perfectly normal to walk past someone without even making eye contact. Here, though, people not only make eye contact, they smile and say “Hello,” too! After realizing this, I was worried that I might accidentally snub someone just because I was not used to paying attention to people across the street. But, as far as I know, I haven’t ignored anyone. Although, I suppose I wouldn’t know if I had.
Another clear difference for me is some aspects of speech. For example, Texans use “yes sir,” “no ma’am” much more often than Californians, which is nice, I think. It was a little strange to me at first, but I adapted. Also, of course: y’all. All my family told me I would come back saying it, but I told them I wouldn’t, and I didn’t. But it is so hard not to use it. It’s so much more convenient than “you guys” or “all of you.” I am determined to hold out though, for now. Even better than y’all, is the plural form of it: y’all’s. Two apostrophes in one word!
Anyway, this is the end of my blog entries, at least for now. I hope you have enjoyed them!

<> (iTunes)

Subscribe to my Podcast (RSS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers