Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Weather


Unfortunately I did not get this post in before midnight…
One of the main differences between San Antonio and my hometown is the weather. The humidity in San Antonio is oppressive, whereas humidity is almost nonexistent in Southern California. The heat is also stronger and amplified further by the humidity. There were a lot of things I noticed when I first got here that showcase the differences in the weather. For example, at home, when we open the windows in the summer, we do so to let in the breeze and cool down the house. Here, my roommate and I would open our window in the summer to make our room warmer, to let the heat in because our room was too cold. However, sometimes we would leave the window open for too long, and the humidity would take over our room. Our mirror, which is located on the opposite side of our room, would fog up like a bathroom mirror does when you take a shower (the photograph is of this phenomenon). So, our room would even be humid. Indoor humidity--a very new concept to me.
However, I was also amazed by how cold it gets in San Antonio. I thought I knew what winter clothes were. I thought I had jackets and warm clothes, but I was wrong. I froze before Christmas break and then returned in January with a heavy coat and snow boots. The snow boots might have been a little much, but, hey, they were useful.
So, although the weather is certainly more severe than it is back home, it’s also much more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers